Saturday, June 22, 2013

Chalk paint on an entire chair

Well...I finally did it!
I bought a chair for $40 and decided to just go for it with painting it all with chalk paint.  I figured if it didn't turn out, I could reupholster it. 


This  is how it looked when I bought it.  Perfect condition...but definitely not looking great with all of my white.  Years ago, this would have fit in perfectly...but not anymore.

So, I got my paint, mixed up my recipe for chalk paint(it's 1 cup of flat paint and 1 TBS of unsanded grout), grabbed my paint brush and just went for it.  As I painted, I wondered if I was making a huge mistake.  $40 this day and age might not be a lot to many, but it is to me.

But that soon passed because I was falling in love..
Here she is...I decided to only use one coat of chalk paint because of how the gingham was showing through, not the color.  It came through even more after sanding.  I really liked that!


I distressed the frame and let me say 
~WOW~
Even more beautiful!

It is so soft...feels like a very soft leather.  I've read that some use the wax, but I decided to leave that step out.  You can use it or not by what I've studied from others.


It replaced this chair...so happy with it instead of this one.


So there ya have it...my very first chalk painted chair...every ounce of it!


9 comments:

  1. Just glorious!!!!!!! I LOVE every inch of it!!!! Great job, Melanie!!! And it looks just perfect where you decided to put it! LOVE!!! ~Judy~ aka ~JudyBug~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that chair. Does that chaulk paint recipe hold up well on furniture? I have been trying to decide about investing in some of the name brands that you can buy for more money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at how it looks like a muted stripe after you painted it! Now you've got me thinking about painting the fabric on that green and burgundy chair that you slipcovered for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melanie,
    Your chair looks awesome !!! I am a big fan of chalk paint, and, have invested in the EXPENSIVE name brands, and mixed my own like you, and CANNOT tell ANY difference !! LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of it !! I went crazy painting PINK and light blue BALL jars, and they look wonerful !! They wash up PERFECT too !! Makeovers are always sooooo FUN !! Thanks for the inspiration always, love seeing what you are up to !!! Loving my little commode cover .... thanks again sweet one ... just what the bathroom needed .... pretty ruffles :):) Have a happy, BLESSED Sunday xo ~Tanza~

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks just great! I have thought of doing that--but once again, too scared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very lovely Melanie. You're so brave! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful!!! Great work!
    Greetings, Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes you just have to dive in and hope for the best, and you got it! This turned out beautifully! Look out world, she's got paint and she knows how to use it! LOL! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melanie,
    Good for you!!!! It looks great. Sometimes you have to take the plunge!!!! This one paid off for you.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie